Tuesday, August 03, 2004

A list of hiking places I have been to

Its been on my wish list since past 5 years... to maintain a list of all the places I have hiked. Am trying to list them... will elaborate on my website lateron.

1: Manali- rohtang pass- bias kund trek:

it was my first trek. Directly to himalayas... Actually had just taken my SSC examinations and had 3 month break. My cousin was going for this trek ( his father, my uncle, is an avid trekker and an excellent photographer). When he asked me first... as usual... I laughed at him. Afterall.... why to walk 15 kilometers a day when you can reach that same place by a jeep in an hour.... I mean .. why , rt??... It was not logical for me that time. But then accompnied him for his daily practice sessions ( means carrying 3 liters of water and 3 volumes of world book and walking 6-7 kilometers a day) and somehow I liked it.

Those 20 days I spent with 39 other equally crazy guys are amongst the best days of my life.

2: Treks in sahyadri:

a: from karjat:

bhimashankar ( twice)
dhak beheri ( 3 times... once lost our way)
peth ( twice)
peb
matheran ( one tree hill point)

b: from kalyan:

naneghat ( many times)
jeevdhan
ganesh garad
gorakhgad ( 3 times)
harishchandra gad ( twice)


c: pune region:

lohgad-visapur ( twice)
rajmachi ( twice)
kondane caves
rajgad
sinhagad
torana
purandar
dukes nose

d: kasara region:

kalsubai
ratangad
mahuli

e: konkan region:

karnala
sagargad
sudhagad
sarasgad ( twice)
raigad
pratapgad

f: near mumbai:
kohoj
shirgaon
tandulwadi
vasai

g: satara

sajjangad

h: treks in USA

yellow mountain park trail
tallulah falls ( twice)
table rock falls
rainbow falls ( twice)
turtleback falls ( twice)
wildcat falls
great smokie mountain park trail
raven cliff falls trail

3: rock climbing

karnala
mumbra
kanheri
clemson ( we actually have a rock climbing wall)

4: rapelling:

panorama point, matheran
dukes nose
kanheri
karnala


Want to do many more....

I like trekking ( hiking, as its called here in US)... I like to spend tranquille moments with myself in nature. I like to get wet when it rains cats and dogs. I like to shiver in cold. I guess I am at my best when I am out in a jungle. Many of my friends would agree to it. I visited many of thsoe places more than once... I guess that is in my desiny ( that I keep going to same places again and again)... but each one was a distinct and memorable experience. I had some weird friends... Ashish, Chetan, Amol, Avinash, Kaustubh, Bhushan, Mayuresh and Amit... to name a few... who were equally fanatic about trekking. Many of these treks were unplanned, decided on spur of the moment.

I sometimes sorely miss my trekking days in India. I guess those were the best days of my life...

No comments: